It is amazing how sensitive I am now… The littlest thing will upset me especially when it comes to fertility. Sometimes I think people are just ignorant to the topic. I understand that it isn’t a familiar topic to everyone, but a little courtesy when broaching the subject is appreciated… Some of the most annoying things I have had said to me are:
1. You’re young, you have plenty of time to have a baby.
Really, I didn’t realize that being almost 30 was young when I see 5,000,000,000 16 year olds pregnant. Also, I am ready for my baby now… I don’t want to have to wait!
2. We tried for 2 months to get pregnant, I totally understand the pain and frustration you are going through…
Wow, two whole months!!! I have been trying for two years, you DON’T understand!! You were able to have a baby naturally with timed intercourse. I have taken medication and gone through fertility treatments and nothing.
3. Fertility treatments, that’s cool, you get to pick out the baby’s sex that way, right?
You’ve got to be FREAKING kidding me!!!! I don’t care what sex my baby is, I just want a baby!
4. Maybe you’re not doing it right… Have you tried _____________ position?
I’ve tried everything you’re going to suggest and more. Shut it!
4. Maybe you should just adopt.
Really, you don’t think the thought of adoption has crossed our mind? It has, but I want to be pregnant, I want to carry a baby, I want to create something that is our own.
5. It must be a sign that it isn’t the right time.
Or maybe it is our infertility that is the factor and nothing about “signs”.
6. I’ve got my hands full, you can have one of mine.
Just pour a little salt in the wound already! Don’t offer your little nuggets up, one day I’ll accept that offer!
7. Are you pregnant yet, how about now?
Really? This helps, it totally helps!
8. Just relax, you’re too stressed and that is why it isn’t happening.
No, that’s just not true…
9. Just enjoy being able to have your freedom. I envy you.
I don’t want my freedom. I want a sweet little nugget to love on and adore. I want to pour my love into a little being and there is nothing that I want more in this world. Don’t envy me and my freedom because I would gladly trade it for a little love.
10. There are worse things that could happen…
Of course there are worse things that could happen, but don’t minimize how I feel or what I am going through!
11. I’ll carry a baby for you.
That is generous, it really is, but no..just no!
12. Whose fault is it?
Fault, really??? Ouch!
I’m sure that many of you have experienced similar situations… A little courtesy people, that is all that we ask for!